This is your chance to make a real and impactful difference in South Africa as a volunteer.
Soweto is a sprawling community that falls under the municipality of Johannesburg. Due to the drastic numbers of HIV and AIDS related deaths amongst young parents, there is an unprecedented number of children who have been orphaned and are struggling while living beneath the poverty line. Reports have suggested that almost half a million Soweto children are living under the poverty line and there is an urgent need of social service support.
Our local partner in Soweto have been working in the community for years, utilizing volunteers from all over the world. They have a system whereby projects are able to best utilize volunteers where they are most needed. It allows the opportunity to support projects in accordance to their needs.
For the SWAP South Africa Soweto Children's Orphanage Project, we are looking for caring, hardworking team players who are tolerant and open to different cultures and traditions. Volunteers should be flexible and open to assisting with the projects' needs. Working as a volunteer in Soweto, helping the community and making life easier for the children will be sure to be an absolutely rewarding experience!
Volunteer tasks include:
- Food preparation in child feeding programs
- Help out in the nursery with babies
- Assistance in taking care of orphaned children, from newborns to 18-year olds
- Assisting with children's homework
- Personal interaction with children to help with social development
- Basic maintenance projects at the homes which are in need of repair and upkeep
- Help with hygiene and health education amongst the children and community